Wednesday, July 1, 2009

MORE ABOUT PROSTITUTES



If I had known I was a part of a World War II history-making event, I would have paid more attention! Unfortunately, my main problem at the time was earning my Army Air Corps sergeant's stripes. This I had to do while sweating in the Florida heat, swatting pesky sand flies, surviving a hurricane on the lobby floor of a fancy Boca Raton hotel while a large chandelier swung crazily overhead, and dodging "night fighters"! "Night fighters" was a term we soldiers used for the local prostitutes--women so ugly they could only ply their trade in the dark of night! But these southern Sirens crooned bewitching songs from their darkened windows and never lacked for customers! (Any woman, I discovered, can be beautiful and sexy when they turn out the lights!) I wish I could say that my fourth and final episode with a prostitute was a wonderful experience. Not the case! I had left the army, spent three years at college, and was working in Manhatttan's main post office. For about ten years I was sorting mail next to my friend, Robert. He was a married man who spent many of his weekends chasing whores in Philly and trying to get me to join him. But I had no need nor desire--and excused myself by saying the trip was too long. Then he told me about a whore house in my Harlem neighborhood. One day the devil got into me and I told Robert I would go whoring there with him. The house was in a nice neighborhood, but I was nervous about cheating on my girlfriend. And my nervousness soon turned to fear! As we were walking up the narrow staircase to meet the prostitutes, who would be walking down the stairs but my girlfriend's brother! I recognized him, but did he recognize me? I was so shaken up with fear and guilt, I couldn't do my part with the woman I had paid for company. To this day I don't know whether my girlfriend knew where I was that night I was supposed to be with her, but since that awful time, I've never again looked at another prostitute! WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BITCH AND A WHORE? A WHORE SLEEPS WITH EVERYONE AT THE PARTY, AND A BITCH SLEEPS WITH EVERYONE AT THE PARTY BUT YOU!