Friday, July 24, 2009

LOVE LETTER TO PUNKUS


Dear Punkus--you with the unlikeliest sounding of romantic pet names--I know you told me when we parted those many, many years ago that you wanted never to see me again or to hear from me. But something extraordinary happened this morning that forces me to try to reach out to touch you again--wherever it may be that life has taken you since that awful day for which you swore to never forgive me! You left and my world stopped! You took away the sweetness and the fire to which I'd become accustomed! You went away and time stood still! You left me with delicious memories--and thoughts of you still creep into my dreams. You left and took with you those magic hands that brought such pleasure and you took away those pink lips whose taste still lingers on my tongue. Am I hoping too much to suddenly find you back in my life again--back in my welcoming arms--back in my aching heart? You want to know what happened this morning to so rekindle my desire for you? When I stepped outdoors this morning, I heard a mockingbird singing. And I swear he was repeating your name--"Punkus"..."Punkus"..."Punkus"!