Wednesday, July 1, 2009

THE CRUELEST MONTH


T.S. Eliot, the poet, called April 'the cruelest month.' For me, however, the month I find 'mixing memory and desire, stirring dull roots with spring rain' is February.This is the month that always finds me flipping from great highs to bottomless lows! For February is the month I found Punkus, the love of my life, and the month I lost her! Punkus is the 'dull root' that refuses to be 'stirred' ever since that fateful day when she walked out of my life never to be heard from again! I met Punkus at an end of February birthday party many years ago given by her friends. It was love at first sight for the both of us! We remained intimate friends for many years after until that unfortunate (for me) Valentine's day! We stayed together for so long because I followed Rule #1 for holding on to one you love--'Treat her as an equal and she will treat you...and treat you...and treat you.' And she will continue to treat you as you want to be treated as a man--until you mess up! And I really messed up one Valentine's eve! [That story I've told in an earlier blog] How can I describe this "perfect woman" that was Punkus? She was beautiful, yes, but not a Hollywood beauty. As the South Pacific song goes, Punkus was a 'girly, womanly, female' dame with a 'soft and wavy form' I loved to hold close. But sex was not the main reason we remained close. Great communication was the Gorilla Glue that bonded us! Although we both graduated from college (she from Hunter and I from N.Y.U.), neither of us was a "great brain" nor an "educated fool". But we did enjoy talking and learning from each other. Whatever the topic, Punkus always had inciteful thoughts about the subject. And we talked for hours--night and day--together or apart--we never tired of listening and learning from each other! Punkus combined in one person the best qualities of all the other women I have known. That's why she will always remain my "ideal" woman. So, wherever you are this cruel, sad February, Punkus, happy Valentine!